Saturday, April 26, 2008

A Little History Lesson




"Wow! What the heck is that?" That's what I was thinking when I saw this image on the cover of Popular Science way back in October of 1993. The article was about a team of college students that made a fairing around this strange bicycle called a recumbent and it went really fast. It was like a human powered car!



I immediately began designing my own human powered vehicle with all of my bad maths and guesses about how things work mechanically. I came up with an easy way to make a recumbent from two bicycles. If I had a welder. If I knew how to weld. I didn't have either. Eventually the idea faded into the back of my mind where it has been simmering for all these years. Surfacing every few years to receive some front of the mind time. Finally late last year after my wife and I bought a condo. I'd have all kinds of space to work on my crazy projects. On top of that our bicycles got stolen. The time was right to begin the bicycle project I'd been dreaming of.

No comments: